Time goes by pretty fast if you don’t take the time to look around.
(Time also goes by pretty fast after 40.. how is it almost July??? And where are my glasses).
Grey hair, sore knees, sad eyes and that’s just the dog. Its true I’m starting to resemble him these days, but I refuse to resort to spending my days lying on the sofa farting and snoring… no matter what I feel like.
A few data points from the last year or so to catch you up:
- 3 new bosses, 13 keynotes, 6 conferences, 18 town halls, 300+ powerpoints and 1TB of new content created.
- 2 heads of state, 2 ambassadors, 6 tech icons and many of the Fortune 100 CEOs. (Favorite was the Dutch Prime minister who was delicious, weird and still lives with his mother. Wonderful manners).
- $$$$$ earned. I mean ridiculous.
And in non work life;
- 11 procedures via 2 shoulder surgeries, 32 weeks of PT, knee cartilage busted
- 7 glorious weekends in St. Helena, CA
- 3 dates with men who turned out to be married.
- 3 apartment moves
- 1 old flame
- And I finally saw BRUCE in concert (Springsteen not Hornby and the Range)
And the best thing of all?
I realized I prefer working with and being around nice people over most everything else.
Life is just too short to run behind Mr.Big in 4 inch heels hoping that you’re having some positive impact on someone somewhere. No matter the astonishing people you meet, the innovation you’re absorbed in, the resources available and the learning you do… nothing beats working with a team of people who have your back, who treat you well and who share your values. Seeing the impact of your work. Having a team who knows you and doesn’t think its weird when you lend a hand, offer or ask for help. It makes all the difference.
I’m sure this reads like every cliché in the book.. but its been an eye-opening, life changing 18 months for me. I’ve always been independent, up for an adventure and embracing of change.. and this time might be the ultimate challenge. Putting my values first and building the life I want around them.
Now.. does anyone have a use for some slightly used high heels?