I was recently contacted by a head hunter for an exciting opportunity working for ‘the worlds largest employer’. Wowser.. sooooo exciting! The job description was completely aligned with my skills and experience, the level was a jump from my current position (yay, more pay) and damn.. how fun to work for a really huge company
Then I realized who that was…(clue:rhymes with ‘ballpart’).
Now putting aside their history of poor treatment for part-time (‘zero hours’) employees, utilization of Chinese sweat shops, manipulation of suppliers and contributing to the death of the small town ‘down town’ local retailer, I did have to think of reasons why I might have to pass up this fabulous opportunity. After all,
- I would get to work in healthy Arkansas
- I would get ‘low low prices’ on all of my shopping
- No charitable giving would be required
- But the company supports charitable causes such as their own employees
- It would directly support my desire for more government programs for the needy
- It’s a real internal communications challenge!
I’ve never been one to shy from a challenge, but I have to admit that this one has me taking a rather large step back. After all, I would do anything for a challenge…. but ‘ballpart’… nope, even I won’t do that.